[DeTomaso] Questions on 4v heads

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:27:21 EDT 2010

I'd have to say that is partially right, if the rules or the budget only
allows for so much HP, then the other viable is weight.
That's what F1 cars cost so much, all that carbon fiber is for weight
reduction and why they told Kubica to lose 15lbs last year.
Sometimes you can only do so much.  That's why an Ariel Atom is a monster,
although not because it has a brutal engine, it simple weighs nothing.

But you can't just start taking stuff off, their is always considerations
for balance ( front to rear, side to side ) and strength to absorb
and accidents forces so that your fast and speedy and now super lightweight
car doesn't fold up like an origami paper bird toy.

CF Hood, CF Deck Lid, CF door Skins, lighter seats, lighter (but less
reliable battery)
AL block, Al Heads, no tools, no spare, No trunk insert, No radio, No
Carpet.
No window roll up or down mechanisms, No sun visors, No console,
Lights shocks/springs, some lighter suspension pieces.

It all adds up to one uncomfortable ride that has a marginal advantage,

so it depends upon the use, if you're racing it, go for it, if it';s for the
street and you already have 600hp
, what's the difference, you can't even use the power that you have anyway,
much less making it even more
lethal.

I rarely depress the gas pedal more than 50% down, it just isn't needed.

( Ok, maybe that's almost always true, there are times that my sagging
spirits NEED to
stomp it, even if it's just for 3 seconds on an exit ramp )

Michael Shortt