[DeTomaso] rear decklid

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 24 15:13:17 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/24/10 12:04:55 PM, justingreisberg at hotmail.com
writes:

> On the rear decklid, the 'X' is attached at the ends, but the middle of
> the X floats, so that there is no bracing for the middle of the lid.  I cant
> tell if it was attached at some point in time, or if it was always
> floating in the middle.  Any thoughts?

Originally, there was some semi-rigid sealer or 'goop' between the two
parts to keep vibration from drumming the two together. Over the years, it
hardens and falls away. This was in lieu of spot-welding with attendent sheet
metal warping and resulting cosmetic bodywork needed to clean the big assembly
up. You can reapply some such stuff, or leave things alone; the actual
'bracing' takes place at the 4 corners. Some have found the usual resonant
drumming at 2200 rpms is lessened with a liberal application of fresh goop. FWIW-
J DeRyke