[DeTomaso] Questions on 4v heads

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 24 14:56:24 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/24/10 6:51:24 AM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> Tony stated that I would be better off with 2V heads and a different
> manifold so I could get better port velocity. He stated I might be able to get
> an other 100 HP with the right heads/intake/carb setup.
>
> Any of you ever heard of Tony?
> Do you guys agree with what he said?
> Can I get notable improvement installing the port stuffers?

Never met the man, but Tony seems to know what he's talking about. Vendor
Larry Stock of PPC-Carson City runs Aussie 2V heads on his Silver State
street Pantera, with lots of other engine work but no stroker crank, and it
dynoed at roughly 400 bhp. Intake port stuffers may help but really, adding speed
parts to an unmolested 40-year-old engine is just asking for big trouble.
For instance, your 'smoke at start-up' may be ring wear or valve guide wear;
as-stock the heads had no real valve guide seals and what they did get often
affects the life of the oil pump-and bearings. I've seen many guys with
stone-stockers bolt on advertised power-adders and blow 'important' parts right
out of the blocks.
Buy yourself a spare 351-C and do a complete rebuild done on it, with
carefully selected speed parts, while you simultaneously enjoy the car as-is
until the replacement is ready. Expect to spend maybe $5000 for more power in
your 'new' motor. Chassis upgrades will be a good idea, too; Larry's car has
seen 182 mph..... My best guess- J DeRyke