[DeTomaso] Questions on 4v heads

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Oct 24 12:05:45 EDT 2010

You -might- feel a difference in the bottom end if you swap intakes, put
the port stuffers in and get a good carb.  However, with that said...
you engine is tired and it's not going to give you any neck-snapping
performance.  Changing heads at this point is silly, you might as well
do a full rebuild if you take even one head off.  As Will pointed out,
just putting 2V heads on won't buy you much, you'd get the same
experience from the port stuffers.  And with with you have right now...
it won't be much.

The -real- differences are made up with combinations that use the
camshaft.  i.e. the right cam, heads, intake and carb.   The cam is kind
of like the heart of the whole operation, if yours is tired, worn or
stock, it's just not going to give you anything as far as performance gain.

So, in my opinion, if you want to experiment a bit, an intake swap is
easy... no messy fluids leaking out.  So find a great intake and carb.
Remove the old intake, use the port stuffers, new intake and carb and
see what happens.  After that you're into a full rebuild.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA