[DeTomaso] Ride height

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 23:26:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/22/10 9:04:52 AM, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> I just measured my car and I am a full inch lower on the drivers side.
> Should I assume the only real way to fix this is with ride height adjustable
> shocks?

Not the only way, but one you might consider if only as a diagnostic tool.
It could be a sacked spring on one side for unknown reasons, or a partially
collapsed rear subframe. Are you running the stock non-adjustable camber
'brace' across the   bellhousing? Do you have more than 2 degrees of negative
rear camber?
Be aware that a low point at one corner may also be caused by a problem at
the opposite corner of the opposite end: a misadjusted right front
suspension will affect the left rear height, weighting and a-arm angle. You won't
really know until you dig in and check all 4 corners for heights & weights.
Don't be surprised at finding wildly varying weights and heights on all
corners. By getting them closer together- with adjustable shocks and matched
springs- the basic problems will surface and can then be addressed. You'll need
the adjustable shocks later to improve the handling regardless of what the
basic problem turns out to be; stockers are now 40 yrs old! Good luck- J Deryke