[DeTomaso] NPC Anybody that owns a gun or wants to continue to own a gun needs to read this! NOW!!

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:45:19 EDT 2010

My 2 cents...

In California all private party transfers must go thru a FFL dealer.  Cost to the buyer is
about $50+. The buyer completes a Federal (and local) background check. (Form 4479 for
long guns, different form for handguns). The buyer must wait (at least) 10 days, many
dealers read this 11 or more, to pick it up, even if you own other guns.  The handgun
buyer also needs to have a "Handgun Safety Certificate" (test and another $50, good for 5
years).  I don't remember if this is for all gun types, but a buyer must also prove they
have a Federal (and state) certified gun safe (on a Gov't list) or the buyer must buy a
"trigger" lock at the same time (Cost varies, figure $15). You can't bring any lock, you
must buy one each time.

Some guns can not change hands in California at all.  For example a son can not even
inherit some firearms from his father.  They must be shipped out of California, or be
seized (without compensation) by the state.

If you move to California with guns you must 'register' with the state within 10 days.

You can only buy a "new" retail handgun in California if the handgun is on the "drop test
list". (with a few exceptions)

(Manufacturer has paid big fees for a "drop test" for every model variant (even
color/finish change).  Some manufacturers just don't bother with the California market.

There is so much more to the issues of firearms in California it would fill a book,
or several books.