[DeTomaso] NPC - was Lojack, now Swedish cell phones

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Thu Oct 21 16:35:35 EDT 2010

 You have to understand what the SMS chip is set up to do.
 Voice,
 Data,
 Text Messages
 If you are doing limited pings with no voice or text you may have a
small data plan with large overages. If your GPS is set up to ping on
occasion, or during a theft situation that's fine.
 If you have a limited text only situation that would be cheap as well
with limited text messages.
 Overages in either situation would be costly which means
understanding how you are using it.
 Like I said before, some GPS units have dormant chips in them. They
don't cost anything till the car is stolen. At that point you pay
activation and usage fee which you probably won't mind.
 On Thu 21/10/10  4:23 PM , Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
sent:
 2010-10-21 21:45, Larry Finch skrev:

 >   Tomas wrote:
 >
 > I have a plan that cost about
 > $2.50/month, which comes with 3000 free SMS/text messages/month,
and the
 > GPRS data amounts of about 5¢ per month, for a few 100kbyte.
 >
 > HUH? Can you really get a monthly cell phone plan for $2.50 a MONTH
in Sweden?
 Yes, it is a student plan, took some courses in nuclear physics last
 year ;-) But even my wifes plan is about $5/month, plus a few ¢ per
 minute. 3000 free SMS:es. Her bill last month, including all calls,
were
 about $10.

 > Just a basic, bare bones plan around here is easily $40 monthly,
with no texts or data.
 I know. My daughter is now in San Luis Obispo, CA, and she got her
phone
 bill, and it was about $100. That is also one of those $2.50 plans
when
 she's back in Sweden.
 She's bought a cash card US phone to use when she calls people in the

 US, but she just had a nightmare experience trying to refill the card
at
 Best Buy, she now call them Worst Buy :-)

 > Tell us more about Swedish cell phone systems and costs.
 I believe much of modern cell phone systems have been developed in
 Sweden, Ericsson is a huge contributor, and we have had fierce
 competition, which has driven the prices down.
 One thing that is different is that you never pay to receive a call,
it
 is always the caller that pays, unless you are out of the country, in

 which case you get to pay for the call from Sweden to whatever
country
 you are in.
 We also have different prefixes for the cell phones, you will
 immediately see that it is a cell phone you're calling.
 I also have a G3 USB modem, with a cash card, that I use when/if my
DSL
 line is down, or I'm at the folks, and I pay $2.50 a day, for up to
 6Mbps, with a cap of 0.5GByte. A week, and 2G is about $12, and a
month,
 and 5G is about $35.

 > Larry
 Cheers,
 Thomas

 --
 Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:
 Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18