[DeTomaso] Dan Jones overload ; )

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:22:17 EDT 2010

> I have a grp4 clone that is only build for the tracks ( serious
> racing )

Do you prefer a solid lifter or hydraulic lifter cam?  How long
do you go between engine tear downs?  What sort of octane fuel
do you use?

> I am looking for an engine with great driveability and practability.
> It doesn't have to be the strongest or biggest engine. 500 till 550
> bhp is more than enough.  So I was thinking of a modest stroke of
> 377 or 393, reving 7000-7500

The 393 would give a wider torque band and better compression from
a flat top piston (10.6:1 with 70cc heads, 11.6:1 with 64cc heads,
12.5:1 with 58cc heads).

> four years later, wise to buy for example a SCAT forged 4340 superlight
> rotating assambly ? or is it still beter to shop around.

SCAT knows the difference between 351C and 351W cranks.  Their 9000 series
351C main cranks have Cleveland dimensions.  However, they and all the other
low cost stroker crank companies still use Windsor-based cranks with the
main diameter reduced to Cleveland diameter as the basis of their forged steel
stroker kits.  Typically, the Windsor-based stroker cranks assume a 6.2" long
rod.  SCAT is the only one of the companies to turn down the outside diameter
to permit use of 6" rods with Cleveland pistons.  I've only seen this problem
on 4" stroke cranks since the shorter stroke kits often use longer rods.
These cranks have Windsor snouts and require either a snout spacer or a timing
set with spacer built in (SCAT offers those but make sure to check the timing
chain is not failure prone Rolon chain from India).  While you can use 351C or
351W dampers, a 351W damper will be a better fit on the snout but would require
a spacer to align the pulleys.

> And then in combination with a popular 393 stroke, what kind of heads,
> valve-train lob profile and intake manifold would you suggest that are
> easy to get outside the state's ( europe )

Is a very tall intake manifold acceptable or do you prefer something
that will fit under the stock engine screen?  Are your current headers
4V flange and will you be retaining them?

We currently tested Mike Drew's street 10:1 compression, hydraulic roller 408C
with CHI-4V heads and it made a best pull of 526 HP through Magnaflow mufflers.
The CHI-3V heads should be a bit better for your purposes.  With the matching
single plane intake, more cam and compression, 550+ HP should be no problem
with a 393C that peaks around 6500 RPM with a best shift point of 7000 RPM.
If you wish to run Webers or IR-EFI in the future, the CHI-3V heads will not
work as the have a unique intake port and know IR intake exists.

> By the way if you are coming to Norway, is there a possibility that I
> come by with my engine man? Otherwise if you want a tour through
> Amsterdam just let me know. Oslo Amsterdam is just an Hour flight
> time, And there are two engine builders with shops you must like!

The possible trip in November has been delayed until next year.
Plans are for sometime late March or early April.  If I have time,
I'd be happy to tour the engine shops.

Dan Jones