[DeTomaso] mufflers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 14:38:34 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/19/10 9:34:37 AM, deserttwist at juno.com writes:

> We now have big tube headers, and 2 1/2 inch pipes into the stock
> mufflers.  Will the car be too loud inside if we gut the mufflers?

A LOT depends on your tolerance and whether you'll trade power for noise.
In your POCA Newsletter for Nov, there's an article on mufflers. There are
five different STOCK mufflers for Panteras and the variations are inside so
its not easy to tell one type from another. We have little idea as to the
effect on sound from these five, and less so if you gut them, except that the
two examples that were done still restricted measured power on a dynomometer
considerably over 3" Flowmasters, and no dB measurements were taken on any-
stock or gutted, before or after the mod. Since mufflers are primarily
sound-attenuators, this is an omission.
But the faster you go, the quieter it is inside.... Cheers- J Deryke