[DeTomaso] Pushbutton Build vs. "Regular" Pre L

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 13:27:10 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/19/10 9 57 12, lashdeep at yahoo.com writes:

> Were the tree stumps, hammers and ashtrays lined up in a row to create an
> assembly line? Or did some of the parts get manufactured automatically
> where
> they were hand fashioned before?

Other than perhaps the initial prototype, I'm not aware of any 'hand-made',
stump-fashioned Panteras.   The early cars (pushbuttons etc.) were
different from the later cars, as they learned about the car's weaknesses.   The
chassis was fairly extensively redesigned and beefed-up somewhere along the way
(I don't know where the '71-style chassis ends and the '72 chassis starts),
and US-spec cars received extensive retrofitted reinforcements after the
cars had been delivered to our shores.

There are lots of mechanical differences on the early cars--things like
headlight buckets, spindles, upper front A-arms etc. are different, and
availablity of those early-specific parts is slim, compared to the later cars.

I've ridden in the Hawaii 5-0 Pantera--it's a GREAT car!   Lots of snap
from a stock '71 motor, due to the high compression quench heads etc....