[DeTomaso] water temp sender

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:51:52 EDT 2010

FYI--
I have consistently read that a temp sender can not be put in the empty hole in the water pump because it wont work (cavitation).  Well, I needed three senders for my fuel injection system, stock gauge, and to drive one of my radiator fans.  I put a sender in the water pump and I can read it on my computer (part of the fuel injection system).  It works perfectly fine and gives precise readings.  INterestingly, the stock sending unit I got from parts store helps my stock 260 (i think that is what it is) gauge read fine too.  Before I had the air out of the system,I was able to watch the gauge go right up to 240!  (the gauge in the pump read 190, so I correctly assumed it was just air to be purged out of the block, but I did sweat a lot for about 2 minutes.)

By the way, air seems to hide right by the stock sending unit at the front of the block, and jacking the rear up seems to be the only way I could get the air to purge.  I went through 2 thermostats before I figured that one out.

And furthermore, the fluidyne radiator, with new water pump in clean block, keeps the car running just fine.  I have cheap spal straight blade electric puller fans, and with one fan running, the car can sit and keep its temp 190-200 all day seemingly.

And furthermore, those chrysler-sourced fan relays that screw into the radiator dont work.  By the time the radiator gets hot enough to activate one, my engine is well over 210 (too hot for my liking).

justin