[DeTomaso] ford 5.0

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 14:15:26 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/17/10 8:43:13 PM, frb3 at comcast.net writes:

> I am wondering if Mr DeRyke has an opinion on the new Ford 32 valve 5.0
> engine.  What kind of problems does he envision in an engine swap to the
> Pantera.

I have not seen the 'Coyote' in person yet. But I seem to remember that all
really late Ford engines take a different bellhousing bolt pattern and
clutch assembly than earlier engines. If so, that means the aftermarket vendors
will be cranking out yet another bellhousing/clutch to adapt this motor to
earlier chassis and the ZF will likely be in there somewhere. The DOHC,
direct injection and supercharger will bulk up the assembly to more than 351-C
width and (likely) weight in spite of an aluminum block & heads (since the
blown DOHC 5.4 is already there), and I expect Painless Wiring to start
building adapter looms- which will be deperately needed given the complication of
such a powerplant. I know no one who's even attempted to work on any
direct-injection engine.
Finally, I remember when the Ford GT first came out with their supercharged
5.4-L DOHC, the cost of an engine assembly ran something like $16,000 and
availability was non-existent for over a year unless you were a Ford GT owner
& had a Ford dealer working on your machine. The first one put into a
Pantera cost as much as a good example of a whole second Pantera bought today. If
you must have one right now, I suggest calling Panteras by Wilkinson who
has good connections for engine access, and asking Steve about the possibility
of adapting one to your Pantera. I suggest you be sitting down and have
already have taken any meds you're on when he gives you an estimate.....
FWIW- J Deryke
(who's not a big fan of engines that cost so much while delivering better
mileage but no more power than a built version of a 40-year-old 351-C. Maybe
in a few years when the racing community gets ahold of a simplified
carbureted version for stock car racing, but not now.)