[DeTomaso] Swirl Tank

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 17 20:13:52 EDT 2010

For what it's worth, I removed my swirl tank too.  I didn't go as far as JT.
I'll probably get there eventually, but for now I'm just running without a
swirl tank.

The normal routing goes through the thermostat housing, up through the
coolant pipe, 90deg to the right, 90deg back to the swirl tank, through the
swirl tank, back towards the front of the car, and down to the long coolant
pipes in the bottom center of the car.

I kept the thermostat housing, up through the coolant pipe, 90deg to the
right, instead of going 90deg to the rear, it goes 90deg down, and to the
long coolant pipes at the bottom center of the car.

The swirl tank is probably good for removing trapped air, but it also adds a
lot of plumbing that is bad for flow.  I figured that I wouldn't be any
worse off to remove the swirl tank, and it hasn't caused problems so far.

I was running an inline cap with an overflow hose to the overflow tank.
With this build, I'm changing to a hose to the heater return line (suction
on water pump).