[DeTomaso] distributorless ignition

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Fri Oct 15 11:50:10 EDT 2010

Forest,

That may have been me. I installed a distributorless EDIS ignition system on
my Pantera about six years ago. I had it connected to my Accel GEN7 EFI ECU
but I believe the EDIS-8 module can stand alone. You need an EDIS-8 ignition
module, something to generate CAM and CRANK signals and the appropriate
ignition coils. I used an Accel Dual Sync distributor, with the cap
permanently removed, to generate the cam signal and a 5.0L trigger wheel and
OE Ford CRANK sensor to generate the CRANK signal. Rather than use the
typical four terminal Ford coils, I used eight Ford "coil-on-plug" coils,
mounted on my valve covers, wired in the appropriate waste spark
configuration. All of the necessary pigtails and connectors were available
at the time, so the installation was pretty easy. I bought the controller
and trigger wheel on eBay. I also used an MSD DIS-4 to help fire the plugs.
The most difficult part of the installation was mounting the trigger wheel
and CRANK sensor. If you decide to do an EDIS installation, let me know
because I have some extra parts such as pigtails, trigger wheel, CRANK
sensor, modified Accel dual sync distributor and EDIS-8 module.