[DeTomaso] Dyno Trip #1 and Roller Lifters.....

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 23:45:44 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/14/10 2:27:49 PM, steven.liebenow at att.net writes:

> Apparently the high volume pumps still cause some pressure increase at
> speeds, with Ford lifters (and perhaps others!) and that you can then lose
> performance due to the valves staying open....

I agree. We had once a 351-C owner in Nor-Cal that had a heavily built flat
tappet engine with valve float at 4800 rpms. By changing from a high
pressure oil pump to a std pressure one, the rev range magically went to 6500 with
no other changes! According to the old timer that diagnosed the problem,
this can happen with a high pressure relief spring in a std pump, too. As I
keep saying, high pressure and high volume oil pumps often cause more trouble
than they solve, on street motors. Glad your ride is moving smartly down the
road now. Cheers- J Deryke