[DeTomaso] functional rear spoiler

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 21:21:49 EDT 2010

I have found some functional rear spoilers. They are made from either
aluminum or carbon fibre. They are adjustable to control the amount of down
force exerted. They have a lattice work mounting system that consists of two
supports that look like a  girder / ladder type assemblies similar to the
chassis rigidity parts. I am considering trying to come up with a design to
incorporate one of these adjustable spoilers  on the rear of my Pantera. My
idea is to place the spoiler as far back as possible . Ideally I would like
the spoiler to be behind the rear of the car so it is actually in the area
over and behind the surface where the license plate is. ( around two feet
above the rear deck lid) according to my research this area behind the car
is where the air flow is available to provide   undisturbed air flow. I am
looking for ideas on how to attach the spoiler to the car in a way that will
allow the down force produced to transfer to the chassis and rear wheels
(not the rear deck lid ) like the  rear spoilers that are for show not
aerodynamically functional.It is important that the mounting set up does not
interfere too much with the opening of the rear deck lid. Some kind of quick
release system would be okay. It has to allow for the quick opening of the
engine hatch in case o fire or some other emergency. This is part of my plan
to also install a front air dam and to smooth out the air flow under the car
and create an area of negative air pressure under the car. I know this
sounds like allot to undertake but I have to start somewhere if I want to
succeed at bringing the aerodynamics of the Pantera into ( or closer) to the
21st century.
Boyd