[DeTomaso] Stud Mount 7/16 1.73 Cleveland roller rockers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 13:45:30 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/14/10 9:43:36 AM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I believe the other rockers squirted a lot more oil.
> I know - the deciding factor shouldn't be how they manage oil, but it is a
> factor - one that is normally overlooked.

On some aluminum roller rockers, that's manageable. On a 351-C engine that
was flooding the valve covers and smoking out the PCV, I inserted small
sections of hollow roll pins in the oil holes, cutting the volume of oil being
thrown around. A year later, the real fix was clearing a blockage in the
dog-leg drainback hole, but that took head removal & a valve job as well. I
think the owner left the roll pins in place afterwards and I never heard any
more about oiling problems. This will NOT work on the
stamped-steel-with-roller-tip types, of course. Of course, those types suffer from too much contact
surface with the pivot ball or sled. A few years ago, one magazine test
engine with those style 'rollers' burned them up in a single dyno pull with heavy
springs, even with grooved pivot balls and lots of oil. FWIW- J Deryke