[DeTomaso] Stud Mount 7/16 1.73 Cleveland roller rockers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 03:31:41 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/13/10 11:59:34 PM, jpgstangs at aol.com writes:

> Anyone have 7/16 stud mount 1.73 Cleveland roller rockers for sale?
> Looking for budget alternatives--any experience with "generic brands" of roller
> rockers?

I'm running Harland Sharp extruded aluminum roller rockers, which are
fairly economical and have lasted me 18 years. But then, I don't go over 6200
rpms and my valve springs are fairly soft. From what the serious guys write,
ALL aluminum rockers will eventually break with enough spring pressure and
rpms, so it kind of depends on what's in your motor and how hard you wring its
neck. Cast stainless roller rockers are almost as light as aluminum and last
far longer but cost 50% more. There's also more clearance available for
bigger diameter springs from less bulky steel rollers.
Note that most 'economical' roller rockers including mine do NOT have
needle bearings on the roller tip- its steel roller on steel axle there,
splash-lubricated. So high rpms tend to flat-spot the roller tips against valve stem
tips, and the tip rollers are not very hard. They are replaceable on most-
look for circlips rather than staked rivits on tip-axles. More expensive
ones have needle bearings everywhere- again for extra $$$.
If you get used ones from E-Bay, I would totally strip them, visually check
eveything with a magnifying glass for cracks, chips & flat-spotted needles,
and cross my fingers when first starting up....there's a reason they're for
sale cheap. Finally, be sure you install them correctly: the flat area on
the pivot shaft points UPWARD so the poly-lock has a flat area to torque down
on. Install them upside down and adjustments will be good for maybe 20
miles no matter how tight you torque them.
I run a stud girdle to hold things together and to positively lock the
poly-locks down. All stud-girdle makers have their own poly-locks so check
before ordering 'cause they don't fit each others products. Good luck- J DeRyke