[DeTomaso] Autocrossing a Pantera - was RFR

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 15:38:35 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/13/10 11:25:52 AM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> In AutoX, it ain't about speed and power, it's about being smoothest,
> most often the slow looking cars are fast and the loud, tire squealing,
> sliding, spinning dudes are slow.
> Women are really good at this, in fact, the best AutoX driver I ever saw
> drive in person was a woman in a 914-2.0 with webers, she looked like sugar,
> drove like what looked like honey being poured and had times that knocked
> the boys out cold.

I was never able to beat Judy's times by more than 1 second in the same
car, so if I got frisky and caught a pylon (+1 second), I lost our personal
battle... more than once! She says she forced me to learn to be smooth... which
is true.
Some of the more memorable auto-Xs we ran involved an ex-Corvette racer
that bought a modified Pantera... Being used to his 'Vette, he never got the
hang of driving a quick-steering, mid-engined car, and couldn't handle the
fact that Judy, in our stone-stock Pantera with narrower tires, was faster. He
finally sold the thing after 2 years of trying. And I believe Dave Adler
still says Linda is faster than he in their GR-5 'Whiplash'. Good times in
low-key car games- J Deryke