[DeTomaso] Autocrossing a Pantera - was RFR

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 15:10:51 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/13/10 11:09:54 AM, Larry Finch wrote:
>  I've had several owners, much more in tune with Autocross than me, tell
> me what I wrote - Most of our cars are NOT really set-up for optimal
> Autocross results. I do imagine Jack had your car dialed in much better than most
> Panteras for what you did back-in-the-day.
>
> That you can make a Pantera into a competitive Autocross car is true. I
> still say most, as they sit in their garages, are not so optimized.

Unfortunately true; most need engine, tire and chassis tuning- just like on
the street. We ran stone-stock at the beginning, and won our classes. Then
both cars got progressively more modified- but still street legal- and we
continued to win against much more powerful cars. Until stress cracks began to
appear in one monococque (before aftermarket chassis braces). A pot-metal
trophy wasn't worth the repair bills, so we quit after 10 years.

Road racing is about progressively feeling your way through each corner
until you reach your personal skill/brave-limits all the way around. Autocross
is about doing a quick, correct 'read' of a whole course, then attacking the
entire thing in one shot with no re-dos. 0.010 sec or less usually decides
it. Its a whole different game and I've seen few drivers that are good at
both aspects. For cheap fun in stock road cars, it's great driver training.
The DMV should sponsor it for school kids. FWIW- J DeRyke