[DeTomaso] SPEEDOMETER CONCERN !

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Tue Oct 12 07:37:29 EDT 2010

A few months back my speedometers did the same and I had to pull over and
unhook it behind the dash to get to where I was going.  Frankly it has been
a low priority.  How would one go about greasing the cable and what grease
is recommended?  If I pull the inside cable out from under the dash side
will I be able to feed it back in?
On Oct 11, 2010 11:45 PM, "Asa Jay Laughton" <asajay at asajay.com> wrote:
> Speedo is okay, problem is most likely in cable. Sharp bends aren't
> real good so have your mechanic try to round them out a bit larger
> radius. Also try adding some speedo cable lube. He should know what
> that is. Last thing is to check the right-angle drive on the ZF. Unhook
> the cable and drive it slowly with a drill, just chuck up the end of the
> cable in a drill and turn it -slowly-. Check speedo to see if you are
> getting bounce. I imagine the right-angle gear drive could go out or
> the gear in the trans. Be careful here, you don't want to drop the gear
> into the ZF as that will be a more expensive repair.
>
> Good Luck.
> Asa Jay
>
> Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
> & Shelley Marie
> Spokane, WA
> ******************************
> http://www.racingagainstautism.com
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com
>

> On 10/11/2010 18:49, Myron Zadony wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I have a dilemma. My Pantera #6928 has 9719 original miles. My speedo
started bouncing& making a schrilling noise. I wrote to the forum& everybody
said to replace the cable so I bought a new cable from Wilkinson. I took my
car to North Coast Exotics in Cleveland. Earl the owner, has worked on my
car since I bought it in 1998. After installing the new cable, the noise
went away, but the speedo started bouncing around. Earl took the speedo out
of the car& everbody on the forum said give it to Palo Alto Speedometer
because they are the best. He sent it out to them to fix. It came back a
couple of weeks later, I bought the car in, to re-install the speedo& guess
what---it started to bounce again. Well they resent it back to Palo Alto to
fix it again (second time). It came back again, they re-installed& for the
third time it started to bounce again. I don't know what gives ! Earl is
beside himself. He asked me to write to the forum again to see what advise
you h
>> ave for me.
>>
>> I don't want to lose a speedo that has 9719 miles on it, if I have to get
a new one or at least a great used one. I also don't want to check off that
the miles are not whats on the car ( ODOMETER DISCREPANCY ) on the title.

>> How difficult is it to replace that MF brass gear at the base of the
speedo ? In their add they talk about repairs, refurbishing, rebuilding,
restoration of various speedometers. How do I handle this ? North Coast
Exotics has spent numerous hours working on this& Earl has not charged me
anything. He said " It's not fixed Myron& I won't charge anything until it's
fixed " I am sure Palo Alto Speedo has some sort of charge on this; It just
doesn't work ! I would appreciate it if somebody that has Palo Alto
Speedometer e-mail address, please forward this, to them. Maybe I could work
some thing out with them.

>> I am stuck, any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Myron Zadony 74 L #6928.