[DeTomaso] SPEEDOMETER CONCERN !

Myron Zadony MZadony at fleetresponse.com
Mon Oct 11 21:49:59 EDT 2010

Hey guys,

I have a dilemma.  My Pantera #6928 has 9719 original miles.  My speedo started bouncing & making a schrilling noise.  I wrote to the forum & everybody said to replace the cable so I bought a new cable from Wilkinson.  I took my car to North Coast Exotics in Cleveland.  Earl the owner, has worked on my car since I bought it in 1998.  After installing the new cable, the noise went away, but the speedo started bouncing around.  Earl took the speedo out of the car & everbody on the forum said give it to Palo Alto Speedometer because they are the best.  He sent it out to them to fix.  It came back a couple of weeks later, I bought the car in, to re-install the speedo & guess what---it started to bounce again.  Well they resent it back to Palo Alto to fix it again (second time).  It came back again, they re-installed & for the third time it started to bounce again.  I don't know what gives !  Earl is beside himself.  He asked me to write to the forum again to see what advise you have for me.

I don't want to lose a speedo that has 9719 miles on it, if I have to get a new one or at least a great used one.  I also don't want to check off that the miles are not whats  on the car ( ODOMETER DISCREPANCY ) on the title.

How difficult is it to replace that MF brass gear at the base of the speedo ?  In their add they talk about repairs, refurbishing, rebuilding, restoration of various speedometers.  How do I handle this ?  North Coast Exotics has spent numerous hours working on this & Earl has not charged me anything.  He said " It's not fixed Myron & I won't charge anything until it's fixed "  I am sure Palo Alto Speedo has some sort of charge on this;  It just doesn't work !  I would appreciate it if somebody that has Palo Alto Speedometer e-mail address, please forward this, to them.  Maybe I could work some thing out with them.

I am stuck, any help would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Myron Zadony 74 L #6928.