[DeTomaso] Water temp gauge sending unit

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 14:49:54 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/11/10 11:11:47 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> My water temp gauge just stopped working. I checked the fuse and
> connections at the gauge but I can't find the sending unit.

If its not at the surge tank or horizontally mounted just below the water
elbow on the block, someone has changed it for unknown reasons. You're on
your own. Note the sender uses a single wire (red on my '72) and could have
been moved literally anywhere there is water. But Ford seemed to think the
block mount was best on millions of Fords.
Note also that if this is a stock gauge, the reading was usually incorrect
anyway (as was the oil pressure gauge reading). Ford used two different
resistors (5 watt and then 10 watt) in the water gauge line in various TSBs to
try making the Italian gauge compatible with the U.S made sender. So if your
sender doesn't show up soon, just add a new sender to the block, in line
with a variable resistor and a known good thermometer to calibrate the gauge to
your car. If its all aftermarket, you usually don't have to calibrate the
assembly, but I'd still change the sender location to the block. Good luck- J
Deryke