[DeTomaso] GR 4 Works

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 11:20:11 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/10/10 6 27 58, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Is this a GT4 or GR4 car?

Yes. :>)

Although the original plan was to make them in two series, with the Gr4
being the race car and the GT4 being a road car, the reality was that they were
all built the same, as race cars.   This one was technically a GT4
apparently.

This one has a well-known history, as it was the only one of the series
originally sent to the USA.   I have photos of the car taken in 1972 as it sat
in front of Bill Stroppe's fix-it center on Signal Hill in Long Beach.   It
toured the show car circuit, and was then sold to Warren Tope, who raced it
and modified it until he was killed driving a Can Am car.   It then went
through various hands, with apparently little racing success.   By the time it
was finally sold to the current owner, it had been extensively modified,
crashed, and what was original was badly rusted.   He took it to Europe and by
all accounts, did a pretty extensive restoration (although I have been told
by several who have seen it that it has been hot-rodded quite a bit and thus
might not be vintage-legal in the more stringently regulated series).   It
has been for sale now since 2006 with no takers....