[DeTomaso] L rear bumper

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 23:34:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/9/10 20 00 0, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> Justin, I have a 72L also and have been kicking the same dilemma around.
> I've thought about sliding the bumper in to get it closer to the body, but
> the
> top would hit first and leave a big gap on the bottom.
>
>>>But you don't easily see the bottom?

> >I have been thinking
> that I might trim the top of the bumper off from left to right, say one to
> two inches,
> matching the rear body contour on the top where the edge would
> meet the body,
> then I could slide the bumper in and the bottom and the top would fit
> better
> almost like a big one piece bumperette. the whole bumper would fit snugly
> up against the body, not hanging so far out.
>
>>>The stock two-piece bumperettes 'hang out' at the bottom as well.   They
are 'inverted' in the sense that the top surface of the bumperettes is
longer than the bottom one, even though the panel they attach to angles away
from them, leaving a big gap on the underside which is invisible.   (This is
not true of the larger, later GT5/GT5-S bumperettes).

> The mounting plungers just need
> different holes for the bolts.
>
>>>The European cars equipped with one-piece rear bumpers did away with the
plungers entirely; instead the bumpers are attached with simple T-shaped
brackets, with the top of the 'T' attached to the inside of the bumper, and
the long leg of the 'T' bolted to the body.

I will send you photos of a Euro GTS, with a very odd and completely
genuine chassis number of 8417, showing all of this.   I can't send it to the
forum however.