[DeTomaso] Windsor history.

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 10:09:30 EDT 2010

All of what Mike says is true, having spoken to Colin many times myself
about his "Sport special". I think the upgrade was $4500 or so? At least he
said that it was a GOOD truck engine, even if it was a truck engine that was
internally unmodified.

DeTomaso didn't always just screw the customer though. The former owner of
my GT5-S had an early 80's Pantera with a "Group 3" engine that he still
raves about to this day. It revved easily to 6500 rpm and was unlike any of
the other Clevelands he had ever driven (and he has owned 7 or 8 DeTomasos).

I have to wonder about Colin's motor... Did DeTomaso run out of go-fast
parts (Colin's was one of the last GT5-S cars built) and he didn't want to
buy more in case he couldn't sell them? Did he never have go-fast parts for
Windsors, since he would only sell a total of perhaps 30 Windsor-powered
cars? We'll never know I guess!

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"