[DeTomaso] power window question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 01:12:44 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/8/10 2:33:56 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I was closing my drivers side window and when the window got to the top
> it made a pop or snap sound and now the window won't move. I took off the
> door cover and tried to use the manual crank and I couldn't budge it. Does
> this sound like the drive gear self destructed?

Its very likely the nylon gear. Its pressed onto a steel drive hub, and
over 35 or so years, the nylon shrinks until it cracks in two (or more).   Then
a piece of the gear props out of line and jams the transmission so the hand
crank won't work, either. Change both window gears and the headlight
erection gear (all the same gearbox) or you'll be doing so eventually. Directions
for R & R are on Mike Daily's www.panteraplace.com website but note- the
gearbox and lift arms easily come out the long narrow TOP hole in the inner
door panel. Most assemblies won't come out the apparently larger lower hole. Be
sure to clean out the hard remains of 35 yr old grease and add new fresh
grease to your new bronze gears. Good luck- J Deryke