[DeTomaso] New Campagnolo wheels

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 20:23:15 EDT 2010

 Hi guys,  (resent because I forgot to include the subject line earlier)

Got an update from Cesare in Italy, the fellow who bought all the Campagnolo
wheel molds and is apparently behind the production of the new 15x10 Pantera GTS
wheels.  He wrote:
________

Ciao Mike ,
I'm Cesare from Italy, How are You?

Here we are ready in this next monday for goes in foundry , we have finisch our
work on Pantera Gr4 mould .
We make some samplese x sizes and use for x ray inspection and test for
mechanical characteristics .
After that we complete the mould for cast .
I think who in half/end of October we start the production of Gr4 wheels , in 10
x 15 front, and 13/14 rear.
We make also the possibility to cast the wheels who are onCampagnolo Drawing ,
never produced ( I have this information) 8-9 x 15front and 10 x 15 rear Gr4
We have some order now and I want to ask please if You can informthe Member of
POCA about our Job , because after Pantera we start towork on Mangusta mould (
Mangusta International ask us the exclusivefor North America ) and when mould
it's ready we cast the mangustawheels in 7-7,5-8-8,5-10- 11 x 15 wheels
I don't know when we can cast again Gr4 , also more wheels we can work more good
prices we can offer.

I want to send a pictures of De Tomaso Campagnolo Drawing for ask if You know
what car is ......Anglia dated 1965!
I don't know...I'm asking also to ex Employed in Modena!

All The Best
Cesare

______

The drawings he sent were from 1965, and were for the little-known De Tomaso
105.  Ever hear of it?

De Tomaso decided to get into the Lotus Cortina business, and he built a Ford
Cortina-based car that was very similar in specification to the Lotus Cortina,
but with an Italianate flavor.  It featured a heavily tuned engine (using
lessons learned from producing racing Vallelungas), suspension tweaks, unique De
Tomaso badging, and these lovely little Campagnolo wheels (13-inch I believe).
I only have a handful of poor photos of one car, and it's possible that only one
car was ever produced, as De Tomaso was fond of making a big splash in the
media, announcing the production of a new car, and then fizzling out.

Anyway.  It's great news that Cesare is putting these ultra-rare De Tomaso
wheels back into production.  I advised him to concentrate on those wheels that
would have a market, i.e. Gr4/GT5 wheels in 15x10 and 15x14 (who would buy 15x13
wheels when you can get 15x14 for the same price?), and 15x10 Mangusta wheels.

Does anybody know if the 15x8 wheel will fit on the front of a Mangusta?  While
it's common to move the 8-inch wheels to the front of a Pantera, I don't know if
Mangusta sheetmetal will support such an endeavor?  If not, then he would
probably be better off concentrating on only making 15x10 and 15x7 wheels, I
think.