[DeTomaso] Oil leak was changing oil pan gasket

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 14:13:15 EDT 2010

Boyd, its possible to change or correct an oil pan leak without actually
pulling the oil pan. The leaks are usually in the front corners of the pan,
and sometimes comes from the larger bolts loosening. By dropping the pan a
couple of inches, with some difficulty you'll be able to mud in some Permatex
#2 sealer or change the pan gasket & seals, even with a fully welded
crossmember. The main problem will be to remove stuck-on parts of the old gaskets in
the space available. FWIW, I oil up one side of the gasket before
installing it so it only sticks to either the block or pan, allowing me to remove the
pan without tearing the gasket. Cheers- J Deryke.