[DeTomaso] changing oil pan gasket

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 04:15:46 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/6/10 10:11:00 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> On a 1973 L with a Cleveland Engine is it possible to drop the pan
> without
> lifting the motor ?

Yes--assuming you have a removable crossmember.   If you haven't yet made
this modification, then now is the time.   Get out your Sawzall and angle
grinder, and cut the crossmember out, grind the inside of the chassis smooth,
then you can drop the pan, and when you're done, you install a bolt-in
replacement crossmember.

http://www.ipsco.org/Pantera%20Parts/REAR%20REMOVABLE%20XCROSS%20MEMBER.htm

You will have to remove the lower A-arms to make this modification--or
rather, you have to unbolt the yokes from the chassis, and slide them out of the
holes a couple of inches.   Carefully remove the alignment shims on all
four corners and stack them in a safe place, so you can remember how many shims
went where, so you can preserve your wheel alignment.

Just did this job on my own car (actually I installed a chassis stiffening
kit in place of the crossmember) when my engine was out, and come to think
of it, we did the job you're describing (actually, we swapped out an oil pan)
at a PCNC tech session earlier this year; the whole affair took several
hours including oohing, aahing, and beer-drinking time. :>)