[DeTomaso] u joints

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 19:11:00 EDT 2010

>> Good point, sort of.  I've seen cars with misadjusted shift linkages
where the U-joint nearest to the trunnion

>> bearing struck the lip of the inner wheelhouse, denting it and making for
awkward shifting.  It's easy to slide various

>> U-joints in various directions on the >> shafts and/or change the height
of the trunnion bearing to gain adequate

>> clearance without actually repositioning the location of the trunnion
bearing on the chassis.

True, but it's just as easy for me to move the whole shaft.  My
engine/transmission is out. My firewall doesn't have the hole for the shaft.
I may as well put it where I want it.

>> Dennis Quella machines the rear portion of shaft to an imperial size and
supplies a heim joint in place of

>> the trunnion bearing, which offers more precise shifting IMO, although
there is no need to go through Dennis as

>> metric heims are readily available if you look around. It's an 18mm shaft
size IIRC.

Dennis did mine by cutting off the splined ends and welding them to a new
shaft.  It's very nice.

I just remembered. One of the Pantera guys in Louisiana had problems
shifting into reverse a few weeks ago (not on the list).  I couldn't
diagnose over the phone.  He finally discovered that the splined end had
broken off.

>> Yeah, that adjustable thing is actually a 'turnbuckle'....

>> Mike (it took me a LONG time to remember that silly word!)

If you had grown up watching Mid-South Wrestling you'd know that word.  When
Cowboy Bill Watts describes Hacksaw Jim Duggan climbing to the top
turnbuckle to whack Hacksaw Butch Reed with the Coal Miner's Glove, you get
turnbuckle ingrained in your mind.

Mid South Wrestling was real.  Everything else was fake.  ;-)

  _____