[DeTomaso] Wheels

Richard Greenblum pantera at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 5 14:50:10 EDT 2010

Forum,

Last week someone sent out an email about a company selling deTomaso 10"
wheels in aluminum.  I've lost that email somehow.  Anyway, I clicked on the
link and looked at them-they appear to be exact replicas, but only available
in 15 inches.  No criticism of our savior Pantera vendors, but I always
wished that someone would reproduce Campys in larger diameters while keeping
the dimensions and design features intact.  Wilkinson's wheels have the kink
in the panels with the holes, but the star in the center is enlarged and the
stepped depth in the outermost parts of the rims is gone (the rears look
like the fronts-no ledge).  Pantera East's wheels don't have the enlarged
star center, but don't have the kink or the ledge either.

So, I contacted the company identified in the email from last week and asked
if they made the replicas in larger diameters.  They said they didn't know,
but probably only in a three piece design, but they'd contact their Italian
supplier.  Here's the response:

I spoke with our manufacturer in Italy again about making them in one piece
and they confirmed we can have them made in 17 inches, the price will be
$1750 each for 11x17" and $1690 each, 8 / 9  x 17"

They are obviously very pricy, but it looks like anyone wanting a one-piece
replica in larger diameters to accommodate tire choices, can get them.
Maybe this will ultimately result in another group buy thing I've seen done
with other vendors.

Richard

Austin, TX