[DeTomaso] Porsche, Pantera - alphabetically pretty close anyway - NPC

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 09:00:26 EDT 2010

My wife has a 2000 Boxster S.

The sticker price was $73K.  We bought it used on ebay with 5K miles for
$49K.  With 100K miles, even in good condition, they go for about $10K - per
ebay.

2000 was the first year for the S.  The S has more HP and a 6-speed.  Her
car also has 18" wheels and big Brembo brakes.  It is a fun car to drive.
It accelerates fast enough to do anything legal, it stops on a dime, it
handles on rails, etc.  My Pantera would smoke it, but I can't drive like
that and keep my license.

The only bad part is when something breaks, it's too expensive to repair.

The coolant overflow tank started leaking.  The quote from our mechanic
(whom I trust, and I don't normally trust mechanics) was $700+.  I decided
to do it myself.  I found the plastic part brand new for $300.  It took me
3-4 hours to replace.  The old part had developed a small crack, so it would
leak - sometimes.

The passenger's power window stopped working.  It was $800 to fix.

The water pump cracked and fell apart while I was driving.  Scary sounds.
It was $800 to fix.  The pump was $400.  I'm going from memory, so don't
quote me.  The numbers are close, though.  We spent another $800 a few years
later.  The mechanic (not my normal shop) used a non-Porsche water pump, and
it started weeping around the shaft.  My normal mechanic replaced it with
the proper part, and the weeping stopped.

The 60,000 mile tuneup saw new brakes.  I believe it was new pads, new
rotors in the front, and rebuilt calipers.  It was over $2,000.

We've spent a little over $8,000 in 9 years on maintenance - including oil
changes.

The only other bad thing is the way people treat you when you're driving.
I've had plenty of people honk or cuss at me, when I didn't do anything to
deserve it.  One guy was hanging out his car window making rude noises at us
(grunts, etc.) while we were stopped at a red light.  Weird.