[DeTomaso] Front Bumpers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 4 03:10:50 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/3/10 1:08:53 PM, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> I have a 74 Pantera and I am thinking about switching the front bumper to
> a the style of the older Pantera.
> I live in Maryland so I will need a front license place holder.?
> Is there any disadvantage to going to the two smaller front bumpers (I
> believe they look better than the single rubber bumper) and how would one
> mount a front license plate?
> Also quite a while back I saw a diagram for the exact factory placement
> location of the original outside mirrors both left and right, does any one
> know where I can find that diagram?
> Nick

1- Don't know the local laws in your State; check with the MD DMV for a
copy of all their laws. If you really need to run a front plate, the chintzy
dealer-made bracket I've seen mounted on one of the existing bumper support
bolts and hung down close to or in front of one turn signal like a single
fang. In any other configuration, you'll have to drill holes in the car.
2- if you change from an L bumper to the small spilt bumpers, you'll need
the type that allows your current separate parking lights to fit; some are
separate and some are built into the split bumpers. Check with the vendors
before buying the wrong type.
3- Differences: the small bumpers are basically for show; do NOT try
actually using them to bump things! The L bumper will work as a real bumper
(tested to 2-1/2 mph), and may act as an arerodynamic 'wing' for a little less
front end lift at speed. It also weighs around 40 lbs (without the 10 lb
mounts), which extra weight also reduces front end lift.
4- the factory mirror mount diagram was in the August '09 POCA newsletter.
Cheers- J Deryke