[DeTomaso] 1972 Pantera shift linkage

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 3 16:49:03 EDT 2010

Too much slack in the u-joints?

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Londry
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:24 PM
To: Julian Kift
Cc: De Tomaso List
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] 1972 Pantera shift linkage

  That's a good procedure.
Now just in case Bob has this one also....................

I can't get enough lateral travel.
When I set the turnbuckle with the shifter far enough to the right to
get reverse, I scrape the right side of the 2nd gear gate.
When I re-centre it for 2nd & 4th, I can't get reverse.

You'd thing the console was up too high or something like that.
Anybody have an idea?
tks
dave

On 10/3/2010 8:21 AM, Julian Kift wrote:
> This is most certainly a shift rod alignment issue, did you remove both
ends of the shift linkage for painting?

> If the turnbuckle was not previously undone the shift rod may have been
reassembled with a u-joint offset by one spline, which is possible to do and
still get the bolt to go through the clamp.

> Remember that the turnbuckle has one right hand thread and one left hand
thread, so be sure to wrench in the right direction. Left hand threads are
normally moarked on the nut with a small nick/cut on the hexagonal ponts of
the nut. It sounds like you have undone the right hand nut, so try
tightening the other one and it should undo!

> For adjustment put the car in neutral and then adjust the turnbuckle so as
to center the gear stick in the middle of the gate neutral position as a
first approximation and the fine tune from there if need be. Be aware that a
very small movement on the turnbuckle is quite a change at the gear stick,
so much so that the act of retightening the turnbuckle can misalign
everything again if you don't hold it in the desired position whilst you
button everything up.