[DeTomaso] looking for 7/8" rear bar

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Fri Oct 1 14:06:24 EDT 2010

I must be lucky. I ordered a hollow 1 x 0.095" bar in 1999 from a drag race
chassis mfg outfit here in Sweden. The only clue to what material it is is
the Cr.Mo. ref. on the receipt. I tacked washers on it like Jack describes
with my MIG welder. So far it's held up. I'd probably have gone for a clamp
on limiter if I'd had access to a lathe at the time but I didn't. The wall
thickness was chosen to make the stiffness similar to a 22 mm (or 7/8")
solid bar and it's within a few percent of the same stiffness (by
calculation).

Regarding what setup was the base for the assumption that a 22 mm / 7/8"
swaybar was "better" I can only assume that it was with stock spring rates
(early or GTS) and GTS (8+10) size wheels. If everything else is left
unchanged a stiffer rear bar will make the car gain cornering grip up front
at the expense of rear grip.

Tomas