[DeTomaso] looking for 7/8" rear bar/skid pad day

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 14:05:12 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/1/10 12:24:24 AM, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> So then it brings back a thought I had a few years ago...a Pantera/POCA
> skid pad day where we bring a few sets of 7/8", 1" or bigger for rear bars
> and possibly a few different bars for the front if needed

PCNC did this decades ago with a clone GT-5, but its certainly worth
repeating to see if this one-shot test repeats. In this basic test attended by
myself, Larry Stock, JIm Kuehne and Terry Aultman, we laid out a 100 ft dia
circle in an industrial parking lot on Sunday, and with a stopwatch, we had
Terry drive his GT-5 around the circle as fast as he could without sliding off
the chalked circle. Then we changed his stock 3/4" rear swaybar for a 7/8"
one, repeated, and changed to a 1" bar. The best times were with a 7/8" bar;
the 1" bar was almost as bad as the stocker, which we attributed to the rear
frame supports flexing with the too-stiff 1" bar. We did not compare
urethane vs rubber, front vs rear bars, sphere-balls vs bushings or hollow vs
solid bars, and we didn't adjust alignment or tire pressures and only the GT-5
with its 10" & 13" wheels was run. Well, we did run Jim's VW-powered dune
buggy, but that was scary-handling on pavement!
So there's certainly room to improve/expand our test results! A 200-ft
circle will give slightly different results than ours but will be consistent
with all the tests you run. The whole thing only took 2 hrs & could easily be
done at any autocross event or- as mentioned- an industrial parking lot on a
weekend, or even at the Fun Rally.
Equipment needed = a chunk of gypsum wallboard to chalk a circle, a big
tape measure, a stopwatch and a selection of bars etc. I suggest a fully
baffled oil pan on the test Pantera, too. If you have a g-meter available, that
will back up the subjective stopwatch results. Good luck- looking fwd to the
results- J DeRyke