[DeTomaso] looking for 7/8" rear bar/skid pad day

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 13:52:23 EDT 2010

Julian wrote:

Great idea on the practical testing; If we could get a vendor involved
on site
with group pricing all the better.

>>>It's been many years (1992 or so) but Larry Stock worked with PCNC
to do just such a test, with swaybars of various sizes kindly loaned by
Dennis Quella (before Larry was really established in business as a
vendor in his own right).  He had a neat laterel G-meter which enabled
us to get hard data on how the car responded.

Surprisingly, the first iteration (merely switching to a 7/8 inch rear
bar) resulted in the largest gain; subsequent increases in bar sizes,
both front and rear, resulted in continued degredation in cornering
performance.  Jack and I then wrote a comprehensive article summarizing
our findings.  The speculation was that the chassis flexing was a
limiting factor, and when the swaybars became too stiff, the chassis
started bending like an undamped spring.

What would be fascinating to do would be to conduct these tests again
today, both with and without the chassis stiffening kits.

The car in question was a stock-bodied L-model equipped with 8 and
10-inch wheels and then-current Pirelli tires.

Also FWIW, my lowly VW Scirocco totally SPANKED the Panteras in
cornering prowess--thanks in part to the fundamentally excellent
chassis, but due more to the fitment of  Yokohama DOT-legal racing
rubber rather than street tires.

Anyway, these sorts of tests can be conducted easily enough in a big
parking lot--no need to spend the bucks to rent a skidpad.  And now
it's easy to instrument a car with an I-phone!