[DeTomaso] drive shafts U-Joint

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 19:40:08 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/30/10 13 34 4, detomaso at luleweb.se writes:

> what is the dimensions on drive shafts U-Joint?
>
> Are there more than two different sizes?
>
> replacement Part no?

They are all the same size.   For years, replacement U-joints for the
factory driveshafts were VERY expensive; that is why the Pantera vendors
developed other solutions.

Some had replacement driveshafts made that used heavy-duty Spicer
components, which are cheap and easy to get in the USA.   Those are still available,
but are very expensive now ($600 or more?)

For some years, Hall Pantera had a poor-boy fix consisting of sleeving the
driveshafts and using a smaller-than-stock cheap USA replacement U-joint.
That normally didn't work very well.

Now however, perfect replacement U-joints for the stock driveshafts are
available from the Pantera parts dealers, and are rather inexpensive.   I don't
know where they are coming from; somebody once told me that they are using
Toyota 4x4 truck U-joints and machining them slightly to fit?   In any case,
if I had driveshaft issues today, I would definitely just get new
replacements for the stock driveshafts, as the driveshafts themselves are of
excellent quality, and don't need to be replacd unless they have been
modified/butchered to accomodate the Hall poor-boy U-joints....