[DeTomaso] best practice

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 29 21:11:03 EST 2010

For what it's worth, I rarely retorque any bolts, but I often check the torque when I disassemble.

The breakaway torque to remove the bolts is going to be greater than the torque to tighten the bolts.  That's because any lubricant would have dried up a bit.  But... the bolts have always been tight, with the exception of the outer row of head bolts on my A3 heads.  They are always much looser than I like.  I believe it is because the soft aluminum is mushrooming under the added heat on the outer row.  The inner row is kept cool with oil.

Back to the original question:  If #2 leaked oil into the cylinder, it would have built enough pressure to bleed some junk into #1 - under/over/around/through the head gasket.