[DeTomaso] Alternator Options

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 00:21:31 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/28/10 11 48 35, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> OK, so for the record and in case anyone isn’t familiar with your car way
> back then, the root of the problem was not caused by your a stock
> alternator. Your problem was that your battery had about 17 seconds of autonomy,
> and as a result your car was running off your alternator as opposed to off
> your battery under low charge situations. Installing a new battery would most
> likely have permitted your car to continue to run at stoplights and charge
> while driving, more or less as designed. Right?

True.   But having a decent alternator would mean that the battery would
only have to 'work' when starting the car.

FWIW, today I spent all day driving my Pantera.   At idle, with the
headlights and interior fan on, the ammeter showed a slight charge.   The ammeter
didn't move when the rpm came up, as it was adjusting to just support the
car's electrical demand.   No discharging at idle, then charging to try to
replenish the battery once the rpm raised up.   Just the way it should be. :>)

Also, FWIW Ford themselves acknowledged the inadequacy of the alternator,
and at some point fairly early during production, a new alternator was
introduced to handle the higher-than-anticipated electrical load.   They only went
from 55 to 61 amps though, still nowhere near enough, if heavier loads are
placed on the system (bigger fans etc.)