[DeTomaso] new valve that fit STD retainers and locks

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 14:59:25 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/28/10 3:12:56 AM, detomaso at luleweb.se writes:

> a friend of mine renovating his 351C and he needs new valves, it is
> possible buy new valve that fit STD retainers and locks?

Anders, if his engine still has the failure-prone multi-groove valves, I
strongly advise him (and you) to replace all those multigroove valves with
single-groove types. The multigroove valves are welded assemblies- the head and
stem are two pieces just like in air-cooled VWs. They fail when
overstressed, usually destroying the block and at least one cylinder head. Single
groove valves (stock Boss or aftermarket) are usually one piece and much
stronger. If a valve is advertised as one-piece, its OK. If it isn't advertised
one-piece, its probably welded and no better than the stockers. Over here, we
like one-piece stainless steel valves: they're strong, failure resistent and
valve grinds last longer.

Both single groove Boss split-locks and multigroove std split-locks will
fit std washers. The std retainer washers are   machined on a 7 degree angle,
so any split-locks that are also 7 degrees will fit. Std multigroove valves
are readily available from many suppliers. Most of us have some laying
around that we should have thrown away. Good luck- J DeRyke