[DeTomaso] Alternator Options

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 06:15:42 EST 2010

I would agree with your assessment, Doug. The little #8 and #10 wires are too small.

I use a 130 amp alternator on my Pantera and a 200 amp alternator on my GT40.
Both have been rewired to use a #4 cable from the alternator to the battery and to the fuse box.
Agreed. Even the #4 does not theoretically meet such loads for continuous duty, but those ratings
are very conservative and the lengths used are' short'.

I don't use an ammeter anymore on either car, but I honestly do miss what I thought it used to tell me.
I've just had to learn to observe the voltmeter and 'think differently'.

One thing I did learn though... if you have a huge alternator, then the belt you are/were using is probably too small.
The next modification to make.

At least, as has already been pointed out, you most likely will not need the full alternator output continuously, if ever.
I use such large ones because the output at idle, where you usually have problems 'keeping up', is so much higher.
For example, the 200 amp unit puts out over 100 amps at an idle speed of 1000rpm according to the manufacturer.

FWIW,
Kirby