[DeTomaso] Asa Jay's 1985 built 351C Forensics part II

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Nov 28 02:45:01 EST 2010

Good grief Jack... catch up.  Here is the Cliff Notes version

- Rebuilt .030 over with stock 2V heads and new .030 over cast pistons
in 1985
- 4V heads swapped onto engine a few years later
- Valves stems are sealed with a positive lock seal -not- the stock
umbrella seals
- Engine was pulled in 2001 due to rattle/knock in engine at certain
rpm. (Was in the Mach I)
- New engine installed in 2001 (again we're talking about the Mach I)
- Engine has sat on stand in garage since 2001
- The excess carbon flakes in #2 are what we're bench theorizing on in
this thread
- I would not consider the carbon ash in the intake port to be excessive
(the photo is misleading)
- The head drains are clear
- No photo of the backside of a bearing so I'm uh... not sure where you
got that one.
- I anticipate -all- bearings will look the same -- Bad
- As I recall, the crank was turned .010 under during the rebuild in
1985 (I'll mic it later to know for sure)
- Didn't do a leak down test at any time, symptoms didn't lend
themselves to needing one.  I was dealing with a rattle/knock at certain
rpms and no mis-firing or backfiring via carb or exhaust.  It sounded
metal, leading me to think bearings or broken piston skirt or some such
nasty metal breakage.  At the present level of dis-assembly, it may have
been detonation in cylinder 2.  That may be the most suspect at the
-moment-.  I'll still pull the rest of the pistons and finish a complete
inspection, but the excessive amount of carbon flaking in #2 was curious.

Oh, and I figure this engine has about 80,000 miles or more since I
rebuilt it in 1985, and it was my very first engine rebuild.  I hope all
my others last as long.  ;)

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie