[DeTomaso] Pandora question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Nov 28 02:12:12 EST 2010

When the engine was being built, I was in contact with the forum, and the timing chain issue was a hot topic.  I am almost positive I checked with the engine builder at that time and made sure the components used were acceptable to all the other Pantera owners.

With only about 5 thousand miles on this engine, I'm inclined to just drive the thing!

This evening, after determining the tdc was at least close to where I thought it was (going by the mysterious magic marker mark and the air pressure coming out of cylinder #1) I tried starting the car, and after not having been started for several days, it started immediately and idled at 900 rpm, as smooth as silk.  Before Stephan fixed the carb's problems and I got the correct plugs with the correct gap measurement, it never idled like that until it had been running for 15 - 20 minutes.

>From the "gut level" viewpoint, things feel really good.  If it ever dries out around here, I'll take it for a spin to see what happens.  If it behaves as well on road as it now does sitting in the garage, I'll leave it alone until something breaks and I have to again take out the engine. At that point, I'll buy one of the new 427 crate engines for it.

Remember, even with the wrong kind of spark plugs and a goofed-up carb, it drove really well all the way to Reno and back...

Sincerely,

Chris