[DeTomaso] Asa Jay's 1985 built 351C Forensics part II

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 27 23:01:59 EST 2010

If you leak oil into the cylinder, either past the valve seals or past the
rings, it will cause pre-ignition, which will beat the crap out of the
bearings.  If it happens on just one cylinder, you might not even hear it -
esp. as a teenager on puberty-roids.

If you leak debris past the oil filter bypass, it wouldn't pick on one
bearing.  You would see debris on all bearings.

If you leak water into the cylinder, it will be nice and clean.  The water
steam cleans the cylinder.  Been there many times.

PB270024 - this pic looks like there's a pinhole in the head on #2.  I'm
sure you would have commented on the hole, though, so it's probably just an
illusion.

PB270029 - is that rust?  Maybe some water is making it into the cylinder.
Hmmm...

PB270034 - the depression on the gasket caused by the buildup?  There would
only be a depression on the gasket if the buildup was there before the heads
were torqued - unless the heads were warped - or if the heads weren't
torqued properly.  Right?

I agree - the valves look like the valve seals did their job.  If they were
leaking, I would expect a bunch of crap on the valve head.  I don't know
about the intake valves, though.  If the intake valve seal was leaking,
would the fuel keep the valve clean?

Can you pull all of the intake valves?  How does #2 compare to #1, #3, and
#4?

Can you pull the rest of the pistons?  I wouldn't expect crap from the
combustion chamber to make it all the way to the oil control rings.  Maybe
it would. I don't know.  At any rate, if the oil control rings are full of
crap, then maybe they were the cause.

Just thinking out loud...