[DeTomaso] pneumatic kit to find TDC

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 22:22:04 EST 2010

You guys are MEAN.

The accepted method to find TDC appears to be to insert a shaft, rod, bolt etc. into the spark plug hole and run the piston against it from both sides and mark TDC as the average.  This is suppose to be looking for a very accurate value, like less than a degree error.  Looking at valve won't do that, and you don't know that the cam is ground perfectly.

The pneumatic approach appears to be something you do when it is not easy to put the piston stop in the plug hole, or if you are not comfortable with running the piston up against a stop.

Ken