[DeTomaso] pneumatic kit to find TDC

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 19:24:40 EST 2010

Is this thread a holiday themed Click & Clack "Puzzler"?  Seems overly long
and complicated for a simple operation of finding TDC on #1, and aiming the
rotor at #1, then marking the flywheel and/or checking the official timing
marks.  Its all a mechanical fit with interlocking gears, etc.   Maybe I
don't get it, if so, I'll round up my left-handed screwdrivers & metric vise
grips and help out.  ;-)  Michael
On Nov 27, 2010 7:01 PM, "michael frazier" <red3644 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly Will,
> That thing should be in the same catalog as muffler bearings & cans of
muzzle blast.

> Michael Frazier
> Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa
>
>> It looks like a whole lot of gadget for a simple enough task.
>>
>> You can remove a valve cover and watch the valves. The compression stroke
>> is TDC right after the intake valve closes.
>>
>> If you don't want to remove a valve cover, remove the #1 plug, and cover
the
>> hole with your finger. Don't stick your finger all the way in the spark
>> plug hole. Just cover the hole. When the piston comes up on the compress
>> stroke, it will blow your finger off.
>>
>> You can use a screw driver to find TDC. The screw driver will stop
getting
>> pushed out the hole as the piston comes up.
>>
>> I have also used a spark-plug-TDC-locator. It is essentially a piston
stop
>> that screws into a spark plug hole. You turn it over by hand until it
>> stops, mark the balancer, turn it over in the opposite direction, mark
the
>> balancer, halfway between the 2 marks is TDC.

On