[DeTomaso] Asa Jay's 1985 built 351C Forensics

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 12:29:40 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/26/10 21 47 45, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Today I began the forensics on that old engine.  I didn't find any
> severely bent pushrods or toasted lifters.  granted I've not given all
> the parts a close inspection yet.  However, I found something -very-
> interesting when I took the heads off:
> http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/1985buildforensic/
> A crapload of carbon build-up on cylinder number 2.  I mean a crapload.
>
> That's as far as I got tonight.  I'll work on getting the pistons and
> rods out later, then taking a micrometer to everything and reporting on
> my findings.
>
> What do you think?

The 289 in my Mustang exhibited the same symptoms once, due simply to a
plug not firing for some reason.   I believe it fired occasionally at best; it
never idled smoothly.   The fact that it fired *sometimes* made it extremely
difficult to diagnose.   The motor vibrated enough to break the air cleaner
hold-down stud flush with the top of the carburetor; it was then suspended
precariously above the carburetor for unknown miles until the wing nut
unthreaded itself, and it dropped into the carb, through the #8 intake port and
became intimate with the piston.   Mad Dog was riding with me at the time--I
blame him!

When I pulled the engine apart, the damage from the offending air cleaner
stud was evident in #8, but what was surprising was the carbon buildup (much
like yours) in an adjacent cylinder.

I rebuilt the engine with the help of Gary Roys, and when equipped with new
plugs, wires and cap and rotor, the thing ran perfectly.