[DeTomaso] Pandora question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri Nov 26 14:31:47 EST 2010

Good points--

1) I haven't yet done the tdc check yet; I'm waiting to borrow the correct tool from another club member.  I'll bet, however, that when I do, the pointer will be pointing exactly 16 degrees before the magic marker mark on the damper.

2) I sent Doug Braun the number of my balancer, he researched it, and it's the same one that he is using, and he said it's absolutely correct.

There are two mounting holes on the left side of the the pointer (which is its own bracket), and only one can be used at a time.  Right now, the lower hole is the one with the bolt holding it in place.  I don't think this will work, just by looking at how things are set up, but I'm going to try and loosen the single bolt on the right side (which only has one hole in the pointer bracket), remove the bolt on the left side, then move the bracket down and reinsert the bolt through the upper hole of the bracket.  That would lower the pointer , and it looks as if then the pointer will be in the right place relative to the damper and timing marks.  Unfortunately, though, I don't think it will work because the pointer bracket is shaped in such a way that I don't think it can be moved down.  It's worth a try, though.

It does make you wonder why the pointer bracket has those two holes on one side with only one being able to be used.  It was mentioned in a prior email that there are a number of different pointers that can be used, and I'm beginning to suspect the I have the wrong one.

Chris